What does a Director of Marketing do?
Free Resources Updated
Performs administrative and supervisory work in the development of marketing strategy, conducting of research, designing of promotions, and pursuit of co-promotional opportunities, new product development, and/or setting advertising objectives; performs related work as required.
- Supervises and evaluates the work of technical/professional staff; effectively recommends personnel actions related to selection, performance, leaves of absence, grievances, work schedules and assignments, disciplinary procedures, and administers personnel and related policies and procedures.
- Determines procedures to be used in the marketing of the Lottery product line; approves the strategies and presentations to be used by marketing employees; develops evaluative standards for marketing employees; resolves technical or work procedural problems presented by subordinate staff; plan for the better use of materials and personal resources in the division.
- Provides input to develop advertising objectives; determines strategies and messages; coordinates advertising with other promotions and functions; measures advertising results; organizes employees/agents communication program.
- Conducts extensive research to recognize, prioritize and seize profitable opportunities (i.e., new products, new channels); selects best marketing strategy; writes and implements a marketing plan; develops and implements control system.
- Establishes sales promotion objectives on a product basis; assists in the development of incentive programs.
Organizes, formulates, and develops a plan and budget for product planning and development, searches for, screens and appraises new product ideas.
- Considers alternate distribution channels; evaluates methods of distribution for cost and efficiency.
- Oversees contracts for ticket production and advertising.
- Maintains responsibility for ticket production and advertising.
- Knowledge of current literature, trends, and developments in the fields of marketing and sales promotion.
- Knowledge of the basic principles of supervision.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules, regulations and policies governing the state lottery or the sale of state industries products.
- Knowledge of the principles of product marketing and sales promotion.
- Knowledge of the principles of public relations.
- Ability to develop and implement innovative sales promotional programs.
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in dealing with matters of a controversial or sensitive nature.
- Ability to correctly interpret and apply the laws, rules and regulations of the state lottery or the sale of state industries products.
- Displays high standards of ethical conduct. Exhibits honesty and integrity. Refrains from theft-related, dishonest or unethical behavior.
- Works and communicates with internal and external clients and customers to meet their needs in a polite, courteous, and cooperative manner. Committed to quality service.
- Displays a high level of initiative, effort and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently. Works with minimal supervision. Demonstrates responsible behavior and attention to detail.
- Responds appropriately to supervision. Makes an effort to follow policy and cooperate with supervisors.
Aligns behavior with the needs, priorities and goals of the organization.
- Encourages and facilitates cooperation, pride, trust, and group identity. Fosters commitment and team spirit.
Expresses information to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information. Listens to others and responds appropriately.
Education, Experience, and Special Requirements
Graduation from an accredited college or university with major course work in marketing, business, and/or advertising and the equivalent of five years of full-time work experience in a marketing discipline, preferably retail oriented, with supervisory responsibilities.